As somebody with many years of freelance experience under his belt, companies like Zen99 always catch my attention. Here is what you need to know, in a nutshell, direct from its homepage:
“Tax and insurance tools for independent contractors.”
If you have ever worked as an independent contractor, from a freelance writer to a Uber driver, you know that taxes and insurance related details have a way of dragging you down.
How much do you owe in taxes? Where are you going to find an affordable health insurance plan? These questions can drive you crazy, especially if you struggle to find answers.
Despite the fact that I have never used the Zen99 service, it is easy to recognize its power. Some of the top features include:
- Track income
- Estimate taxes
- Protect yourself (insurance)
- Educate yourself
Enough about the company itself. Let’s move onto its corporate blog. For a startup, I came away impressed with what I found:
- Plenty of updates. With six posts last month, the blog is on par with what I typically see in this space. This is enough content to keep people interested and coming back for more, but not so much that it bites into valuable time that can be used to grow other parts of the business.
- Strong focus on what matters. There is nothing more frustrating than a corporate blog that doesn’t stay on topic. You don’t see any of this with Zen99. All of its blog posts cover the basics of tax and insurance. In other words, you know what you are getting when you visit the blog.
- Not as boring as it sounds. Let’s face it: most people, independent contractor or not, don’t enjoy talking about taxes and insurance. That being said, most people also realize it is a big part of life and business. The Zen99 team has done an excellent job keeping its blog informative yet engaging.
What I would Fix
By making a few minor tweaks, the Zen99 corporate blog could be improved in no time.
Create more Content
There is a lot to be said in this space. For this reason, it would be easy enough to create anywhere from three to five blog posts per week.
This may sound like overkill, but with so many topics to cover it would be relatively simple to keep the pace.
Here are a few topics that would fit in nicely:
- Independent Contractor Tax Myths
- Facts and Figures: What you need to Know about Self-Employment Tax
- Why Health Insurance is more Important for Independent Contractors
These types of topics will inform readers, keep them engaged, and of course, attract visitors from the search engines.
Spread the Love to Different Topics
I mentioned above how much I love the strong focus of the Zen99 corporate blog. What I didn’t mention was how the company could expand its focus to attract more readers.
For example, a post entitled “How Freelancers can Avoid the Flu this Winter” would fit in nicely. It is related to the overall theme, thanks to its medical spin, but doesn’t fit under the health insurance category. Furthermore, titles like these are social friendly.
The Zen99 corporate blog has a solid foundation on which the company can build as 2014 comes to an end.
The suggestions above, as basic as they may appear, could be just what the blog needs as this startup continues to grow.